November 2018 Newsletter: Caregivers Month
November is National Family Caregivers Month
We celebrate those caring for loved ones with Niemann-Pick disease. We know it is not always easy and we value you and the important role you play for your family.
Some things to remember*:
- You cannot be perfect
- You have a right to all of your emotions
- Depression is the most common emotion of long-term caregivers
- Set realistic expectations – for yourself and your loved one
- Learn about the disease and what you can expect
- Learn the skills you need to care for the care receiver and which ones you are or are not able to perform
- Learn to say “no” to things you cannot do
- Learn to accept help from others
- Build resilience
- Identify your button-pushers/stressors
- Identify your coping skills
Most importantly, remember that taking care of yourself is as important as taking care of someone else.
The NNPDF has resources and information available to help you throughout your Niemann-Pick journey.