Special Equipment and Resources
NNPDF Equipment Exchange Program
Do you have equipment needs, or equipment to share?
As NPD patient and family needs change during a chronic illness, there may be equipment stored in homes that is no longer needed and could be put to use by another family. The NNPDF will assist families who wish to donate this equipment. Our goal is to ensure that all NPD families have access to equipment that they need to assist their loved ones affected by Niemann-Pick Disease.
The foundation will retain and post on the Web site a log that describes the type of available equipment and information about equipment needs.This program is being funded in large part by the Jami and Lisa Chavez family in memory of their daughter, Breann, who passed away from NPD Type C in June 2006, at the age of 3 years. Their annual "Ducks for Bucks" event generates the funds to assist in offsetting the cost of shipping equipment from home to home.
Here’s how the program works:
The NNPDF will retain and post on its web site a log that describes the type, size, and location of available equipment and information about equipment needs (names and other identifying information will not be posted on the web site). In addition, the central office will provide matching services for donated equipment and families who have a need for it.
Due to the cost of shipping, participation in this Equipment Exchange program is limited to residents of North America. Families with a member affected by Niemann-Pick Disease who live outside North America may contact us and we may be able to make referrals to other sources for equipment needs.
For equipment to be donated, fill out the Equipment Donation/Request Form form and fax or email it to the NNPDF office. Be sure to provide model numbers, a Web link to the product (photo and description) if possible, and any relevant measurements or details so that families will know specifically what is available, and for what size of child/adult it is appropriate. Include a digital photograph of the equipment if you can. Also, provide information on the condition of the item – use terms such as “new", “like new", “gently used", “used", “well-used". Please do not offer items that are heavily soiled or are very worn. Be sure to provide full contact information so that an NNPDF staff member can contact you if there is question about, or a request for your item. The item will be posted on this page. Posting time will not be limited. Your contact and other information WILL NOT be posted on the NNPDF web site.
The NNPDF will facilitate communication among families donating equipment and families needing equipment when necessary. We are partnering with local and national distribution services to assist with shipping equipment to and from families at little or no cost.
Call the NNPDF Central Office at 1-877-287-3672 or send an e-mail to email@example.com if you have questions about the program or need assistance with donating and/or requesting equipment.
Completed forms may be faxed to the NNPDF Office at: 920-563-0931.
One of our NNPDF member families has immediate need of a Motion Table with Vibra-Glide, any condition.
"The Motion Table improves the results of therapy sessions and home programming by organizing the nervous system and allowing the user to respond appropriately to the given stimuli. By stimulating the vestibular system, The Motion Table is able to "level out" extreme behaviors caused by a variety of conditions."
One of our NNPDF member families is in need of a beach wheelchair sized for a 16-year-old. A beach wheelchair has large wheels which resist sinking into the sand (an example is shown at left).
If you have a beach wheelchair to share with this family, please contact the NNPDF office at 920-563-0930, or toll-free at 877-287-3672, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
One of our families has graciously donated this car seat to the NNPDF equipment exchange program. It is designed for a older child, is only a year old, and in very good condition. The back is 24 inches across and 28 inches in length. The seat is 24 inches across and 18 inches in length.
If you are in need of a car seat for an older child, please contact the
NNPDF Central Office at email@example.com.
The equipment exchange program has been established to assist families
who have a child diagnosed with Niemann-Pick Disease. Due to costs, shipping
is limited to standard ground service, only to locations in North America.
[Dec 5, 2011 mem]
Successful Exchange -- Gait Trainer!
Thanks to the generosity of an NNPDF family, and the help of a second NNPDF family to coordinate the logistics, the gait trainer below is once again being put to good use by little Chase DiGiovanni (NPC).
|Chase DiGiovanni getting around in his new gait trainer, thanks to the generosity of another NNPDF family!|
Many thanks to Ducks for Bucks for helping to make the Equipment Exchange program possible!
Infant Car Bed
We have available an infant car bed, suitable for use with infants from 5 - 20 lbs, and up to 26 inches long. The Cosco Dream Ride SE is a fully reclining infant "car bed" that is side facing only. The Cosco Dream Ride SE Infant Car Bed is recognized by pediatricians for transporting premature and low birth weight infants. For a detailed description of the Dream Ride SE, visit Dream Ride Infant Car Bed .
If you are in need of an infant car bed, please contact the NNPDF Central Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. The equipment exchange program has been established to assist families who have a child diagnosed with Niemann-Pick Disease. Due to costs, shipping is limited to standard ground service, only to locations in North America.
[April 28, 2009 mem]
This chair is in very good condition and can be adjusted according to the child's needs.Some modifications were made to the back to suit the needs of the previous user's spine.The chair also has a tray and another head rest. The foot rests can be raised to fit a smaller child. The chair can tilt to approximately a 45 degree angle.
Please contact the NNPDF Central Office at email@example.com if you are interested in this chair. This equipment exchange program has been established to assist families who have a child diagnosed with Niemann-Pick Disease. Due to costs, shipping is limited to standard ground service, only to locations in North America.
[Feb 24, 2009 mem]
Equipment Matched!! Thank you!!
We have matched the donation of a double stroller with a family in need of one. Thank you!
[March 3, 2009 mem]
We were able to match the donation of a car bed with another NPD family. Thank you for your kind donation and support of this program.
[Feb 26, 2009 nmh]
We were able to match the donation of this portable umbrella stroller with one of our member families. Thank you for your kind donation and support of this program.
[Feb 26, 2009 nmh]
"Pinterest board" -- visit this page on the Laffoon family's blog for lots of great ideas and products to help keep kids with reduced mobility, low muscle tone, or other special needs comfy and stimulated.
The following is a list of online resources for various adaptive appliances. Appearance on this list does not indicate endorsement by the NNPDF. Many additional such companies are available by searching online using the keywords indicated.
- www.fminow.com Adaptations for many makes and models
- www.rollxvans.com Wheelchair conversion vans; used inventory
- www.volvocars.us/sales and services/mobilityprogram/ Reimbursement incentives; no listing for used cars
- www.braunability.com Chrysler, Dodge , GM, Toyota and Scion vehicles
- www.mobilityrebates.com Buy direct and with discounts
- www.viewpointmobility.com Rear entry system for new and used vans from Chrysler, Ford and General Motors
- www.amerivans.com GM and Chrysler vans
- http://www.amsvans.com/handicap-vans AMS Vans, Inc. -- New and used wheelchair vans
- http://www.blvd.com/Accessible_Vehicles/ Lots of resources
Airway Clearance Vests
- www.flexramp.com Converts any mini van and or full sized van into a wheelchair accessible car,It can be used on the van and then moved to stairs at the house or building
- http://www.portable-wheelchair-ramps.com/ Lots of options
- www.ibotnow.com This is a user wheelchair meaning the user has to have the ability to work the hand controls. But it does go up stairs and or curbs that are 5 inches or less. This is a great site just for the other wheelchairs they produce
- www.easystand.com This might be anitem forschools or PT/OTwho would like to purchase for the neuromuscular client
- www.stand-aid.com This product might be considered for the person who still has some mobility for a toilet session all the way up to passive standing which helps in circulation
- www.redmanpowerchair.com This is a wonderful chair that goes into many different positions from upright/standing to full reclinewithout the need for other chairs that do some but not all.
- www.landeez.comThis is an all-terrain chair for snow, sand etc. This might be useful for the family that wants to keep up with other sports the family enjoys.
- http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=19327&top=14275&deep=2&trail=22,14223,14273 Site is good source of information about equipment for all needs.
- www.101 Mobility.com Stairlifts, patient lifts, AryLift, ramps, etc.
- www.moliftinc.com Lightweight lift system that holds up to 300 plus pounds.
- http://www.phc-online.com/Hoyer_Lift_Supply_s/44.htm?adv=google_hoyer&gclid=CNDi0tCL-owCFQMYFQodPC1bCw Lots of options
- www.attendsdelivered.com A free sample is given when the site is contacted along with a $5.00 coupon for the next purchase. This should be a long form coverage plan under state aid, but for those who do not qualify, any coupon is useful.
- www.dmponline.com This site has total incontinent products from 10 pounds up to full adult size. New customers get a $25 coupon.
The National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation (NNPDF) does not engage in the practice of medicine. It is not a medical authority nor does it claim to have medical knowledge. This site is an educational service of the National Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation and is not meant to provide diagnostic or treatment advice. Information contained or suggested on this Web site does not constitute medical advice. For all information related to care, medication or treatment, the NNPDF recommends consulting a physician to determine if information presented is applicable. Please review these additional cautions about medical information provided on the Internet.