Lauren Grodin (Psy.D.) is not only an NNPDF Board of Director Member, but also an NPD sibling. Her brother, Scott Marocco, lost his fight with NPC in 2000 at the age of 13.
In 2013, at the 21st Annual Family Conference in Baltimore, MD, Lauren presented the powerpoint below detailing how growing up with Scott influenced her life.
[Sept 12, 2013 blg]
The following is text version (with slight modifications) of a presentation given by Cate Walsh Vockley, MS, CGC at the 2008 NNPDF Family Conference in Atlanta, GA
- The Sibling Slam Book: What It’s Really Like To Have A Brother Or Sister With Special Needs by Don Meyer (Editor), David Gallagher (Foreword); Woodbine House, 1st edition (March 15, 2005); # ISBN-10: 1890627526; # ISBN-13: 978-1890627522.
- Views from Our Shoes: Growing Up With a Brother or Sister With Special Needs by Donald J. Meyer (Editor), Cary Pillo (Illustrator); # Woodbine House, 1st edition (June 1997); # ISBN-10: 0933149980; # ISBN-13: 978-0933149984
- Being the Other One: Growing Up with a Brother or Sister Who Has Special Needs by Kate Strohm. Shambhala, 1st edition (February 8, 2005); # ISBN-10: 1590301501; # ISBN-13: 978-1590301500.
- Living With a Brother or Sister With Special Needs: A Book for Sibs by Donald J. Meyer and Patricia Vadasy. University of Washington Press, 2nd Revised edition (November 1996); # ISBN-10: 0295975474; # ISBN-13: 978-0295975474.
- Sibshops: Workshops for Siblings of Children with Special Needs by Donald J. Meyer and Patricia F. Vadasy. Paul H Brookes Pub Co; Revised edition (December 1, 2007); # ISBN-10: 1557667837; # ISBN-13: 978-1557667830.
- Special Siblings : Growing Up With Someone With a Disability by Mary McHugh. # ISBN-10: 0786862858; # ASIN: B000FILLE6
- 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 (123 Magic) by Thomas W. Phelan. Parentmagic, Inc.; Third edition edition (February 1, 2004); # ISBN-10: 1889140163; # ISBN-13: 978-1889140162
- What About Me? Growing Up with a Developmentally Disabled Sibling by Bryna Siegel and Stuart Silverstein. Da Capo Press, (September 2001); #ISBN-10: 073820630X, # ISBN-13: 978-0738206301
- Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. Collins Living; Expanded edition (December 14, 2004); # ISBN-10: 0380799006; # ISBN-13: 978-0380799008
- McHale, S. M., & Gamble, W. C. (1987). Sibling relationships and adjustment of children with disabled brothers and sisters. In F. Fuchs Schachter & R. K. Stine (Eds.), Practical concerns about siblings: Bridging the research-practice gap (pp. 131-158). New York: Haworth Press.
- National Dissemination Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities (NICHCY), Digest #11 (ND11- Children with Disabilities: Understanding Sibling Issues)
- Siblings of Kids with Special Needs
- Sibling Support Project of ARC
- Sibs – For brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults
- Children with Disabilities: Understanding Sibling Issues
This one has excellent resources!
- National Resource Center for Respite and Crisis Care Services
ARCH Factsheet Number 23: Siblings of Children with Special Health And Developmental Needs
- Lobato DJ and Kao BT. Brief Report: Family-based group intervention for young siblings of children with chronic illness and developmental disability. J. Pediatric Psychology 30(8): 678-682, 2005.
- Fanos JH, Fahrner K, Jelveh M, King R and Tejeda D. The sibling center: a pilot program for siblings of children and adolescents with a serious medical condition. J Pediatr 146: 831-5, 2005.
- Barlow JH and Ellard DR. Psycho-educational interventiosn for children with chronic disease, parents and siblings: an overview of the research evidence base. Child: Care, Health & Development, 30(6): 637-645, 2004.
- Williams PD, Williams AR, Graff JC, Hanson S, Stanton A, Hafeman C, Liebergen A, Leuenberg K, Karlin Setter R, Ridder L, Curry H, Barbard M and Sanders S. A community-based intervention for siblings and parents of children with chronic illness or disability: the ISEE study. J Pediatr 143:386-93, 2003.
- Sharpe S and Rossiter L. Siblings of Children with a chronic illness: a meta-analysis. J Pediatric Psychology 27(8): 699-710, 2002.
- Lobato DJ and Kao BT. Integratedsibling-parent group intervention to improve sibling knowledge and adjustment to chronic illness and disability. J Pediatric Psychology 27(8): 711-716, 2002.
- Fleitas J. When Jack fell down…Jill came tumbling after: Siblings in the web of illness and disability. MCN The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing. Sept-Oct 25(5): 267-73, 2000.